Is confirmed by the session of Georgian Academy
of Medical Sciences in March 4,1994 (protocol N1)
Statement About elections of Georgian Academy of Medical Sciences
1. In Georgian Academy of Medical Sciences here are statuses of real member, honorable member and foreigner ones.
2. A member of Georgian Academy of Medical Sciences can be a doctor who has PhD degree in Sciences or equal one and has created a new direction of science which has theoretical and practical significance and he/she works productively in preparation and training programs in order to gain qualified scientific personnel.
3. The Academy can choose a foreign citizen as a member if he/she is a well-known scientific representative.
4. An honored member of the Academy can be a reputable old aged real member as well.
5. The number of members of the Academy of Sciences must not exceed 50 persons.
6. Timeline of elections is determined by the presidium; Notification about elections is released in press of the republic no later than 3 months before election;
7. The candidates may include following: scientific-research collectives of juridical rights, state institutes, scientific societies, associations a member of which is a represented candidate. Application must be promoted by majority of attendants. A form of voting is determined by representative institution.
8. Materials about new candidates will be sent to heads of executives of corresponding departments.
9. The corresponding department will discuss data about each candidate personally and in aids of latent poll by the majority of votes it chooses certain candidates and then they are represented on general session to be elected as real members. In these elections only real members can vote and take part in.
10. Elections of real, honorable and foreigner members are conducted in aids of latent poll. The general session is allowed to elect if 2/3 of real members of academy attends the session. In this elections members which are absent because of being on a mission or health problems must not be included.
11. The President of the Academy will introduce a list of probable members, conclusions about their achievements in scientific sphere, recommendations of department and other needful materials.
12. In elections of a real member a deciding vote in given to real members of the Academy only; A person can be considered as a real member of the Academy if he/she receives majority of votes.
13. For election of a real member bulletins are given to voters which include all surnames of candidates and along them there are written two sentences: “I am agree “ or “I am not agree” and real members must choose one of them. Any other marks are not allowed. 14. If in the first tour candidates could not collect needed votes and they managed to gain votes no less than half of electors or there are two candidates to be elected in a position, then the second tour of elections is conducted.
15. Votes are counted by counter board. Members of counter board are chosen by open poll among real members.
16. Protocols of counter board are confirmed by general session of the Academy and they are saved in Presidium along with bulletins. 17. Results are published in press of the republic.
18. A candidacy of honorable member and foreigner member must be represented by real member of the Academy and elections are conducted at general session of the Academy. The rules are the same as mentioned above
. 19. Scientists which are elected by previously discussed statements have all rights of membership of the academy and they are given the document and ensign.
20. Election of the President of the Academy occurs once in 5 years by the general session. A candidate can be represented by any academician or group of them. In case of alternative proposals, poll is latent. The future President must collect majority of votes but no less than half of them. If winner is not chosen if the first tour because of the same vote numbers of two candidates then the second tour is conducted.